20 January 2009

Times they are a changing...

Happy Inauguration Day/3rd Quarter

This week is a week of change for many people...some are starting new semesters, some are starting new quarters, and some are starting new careers.

My students made the switch yesterday from history to science. They also were introduced to the 90-minute Language block used in the US schools. I am so excited to have a schedule that allows me to break my day up and actually focus on the key components of the English language. I am hoping that through using this method, I can improve their quality of work all around even the smallest bit. My 90-minute block allows me to teach spelling, phonics, and grammar all at the same time with a built in read aloud time! Normally by 3rd grade phonics are fairly automatic in the states, but I'm starting at square one. I am focusing on blends to start with because many of the students can't read our spelling list and the blends that are on it. Phonics is also crucial to good spelling. I have amazing spellers in my class, but I have a few that are going to see the benefit of daily phonics.

Thanks to Natalie for my amazing b-day gift of the first 8 books of "The Magic Tree House" series. My kids are loving them; especially my boys! Hooray!!!

My students also started music yesterday. After talking to almost all the teachers all the students are learning about the musicality of Michael Jackson...yep, I really hope they learn the Thriller dance just because it would be really funny! I'm excited for my kids to do music because I share the same excitement for music as they do. I miss piano tremendously and I occasionally go play on the schools untuned piano.

I am in need of wisdom with a few of my students because of their incredibly unruly rude behavior. Many of my children have close to free reign at home so enforcing rules for them is sometimes difficult. I receive many tears because they aren't used to being told no or follow the directions...today I made 2 students cry because I disciplined them. At least they don't enjoy their punishment. If their behavior continues I'm not sure what I will be doing with them - other than prematurely graying.

Tomorrow we have off due to it being Agriculture Day...I'm not going to complain for a day off and away after the first 2 days this week.

No comments: